Great opportunity at York Hospital in York, ME!
See below for details. Click here to apply!
Position: Microbiology Technical Specialist
Reports to: Director of Laboratory Services
The Microbiology technical supervisor is responsible for performing a variety of functions that ultimately create an exceptional patient experience by fulfilling their laboratory needs. The technical supervisor is responsible for maintaining their designated department at a CAP accredited level of performance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs a variety of laboratory services including analysis of laboratory tests, quality control, equipment maintenance, processing of laboratory specimens, clerical duties, and other team responsibilities under the direction of a Board Certified Pathologist. Each staff member is responsible for maintaining the skills necessary to perform the technical aspects of their job. Staff members provide care appropriate to the condition and age of patients, including geriatric, pediatric and general population.
Staff is responsible for the care and safety of patients and maintaining patient confidentially at all times. Staff is responsible for communicating the mission and vision of the hospital as well as developing effective working relationships with patients, physicians and path members. Employees in this position must be flexible, efficient, and capable of performing tasks with accuracy.
In addition to performing bench duties, the department Specialist is responsible for monthly quality control/quality assurance, staff competency, CAP survey material, procedural updates, reagent inventory, analyzer/analyte maintenance, department budget, CAP inspection readiness and staff communication/training.
• Education and Experience: Four year Degree or Equivalent in Medical Laboratory Science Program or scientifically related field and 1 year of clinical laboratory experience. Bachelors Degree preferred.
• Required Licensed/Certification/Registration: MT (ASCP), MLS(ASCP) is desirable.
• Meets the alternative education and experience qualifications set forth by the ASCP to become registry eligible for the MT category.
• Training and relevant experience in high complexity testing of Microbiology such as Molecular is a plus.
• Current instruments are the BD Phoenix, Bruker MALDI, BD Max, Revogene, BD Bactec and the Abbott ID NOW,
SKILLS/PHYSICAL ABILITIES/WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Must have the ability to read and communicate effectively. Must have basic computer knowledge, phlebotomy skills, knowledge of laboratory quality control standards and protocols, high level of skill required for proper equipment use and maintenance. This job requires frequent standing, walking, sitting, pushing, pulling, reaching, lifting and some repetitive motions. The work environment is such that you may be performing some functions for an extended period of time and may be exposed to hazardous and infectious substances. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.